The Marin Municipal Water District Board of Directors announces the appointment of Krishna Kumar, currently the General Manager of the Valley of the Moon Water District in Sonoma County, as MMWD’s new general manager. Kumar has extensive experience working in the public sector and in the drinking water business. He will take over at MMWD in mid-December. MMWD Board President Cynthia Koehler expressed the Board’s unanimous support for Kumar saying that “Krishna is an excellent fit for MMWD at this important time in our history. We are delighted to have him join MMWD as our general manager. “
In accepting the position, Kumar said, "I am honored and excited to have this opportunity to join the Marin Municipal Water District as the general manager. MMWD is the oldest municipal water district in the state of California, having celebrated its centennial earlier this year. My goal is to build on MMWD’s rich and distinguished history so that 100 years from now, the community can look back and be just as proud as it is today. I am committed to maintaining MMWD’s reputation for providing high-quality drinking water and for its dedication to environmental stewardship."
Kumar was selected from a large field of extraordinary candidates from across the western states who applied for the role of chief executive of Marin's largest water provider. Board President Koehler noted that Kumar’s deep local background makes him particularly well suited for the position. Koehler added, “MMWD faces many challenges, including long-term water supply reliability, financial stability, environmental stewardship issues and conservation issues. Krishna’s strong base of knowledge regarding the North Bay water picture, his involvement in many environmentally sensitive issues and his management experience, will be extremely valuable to moving MMWD forward. We look forward to having him join us." Kumar's appointment will be formalized at the October 17 MMWD board meeting.
Kumar has been the general manager of Valley of the Moon Water District in the Sonoma County community of El Verano since 2004. Previously he was a division manager for several years in finance at the Sonoma County Water Agency. He worked for Sonoma County prior to joining SCWA.
Kumar earned a master of business administration degree in finance from the University of Cochin in Cochin, India. He earned his bachelor’s degree in zoology from Calicut University in Palakkad, India. Before immigrating to the United States in 1992, Kumar served as a senior manager at the Reserve Bank of India.
MMWD Facilities and Watershed Manager Tom Cronin has been serving as the acting general manager for the district for the last several months. The previous general manager, Paul Helliker, resigned in early 2012.
MMWD is a special district providing water to 185,000 people located in a 147-square-mile area of central and southern Marin County. In operation since 1912, MMWD is the oldest municipal water district in California and celebrated its centennial on April 25, 2012.
The district owns and manages 21,250-acres of watershed land on Mt. Tamalpais and in west Marin. The primary source of water supply is rainfall captured in seven reservoirs, providing 75 percent of the water consumed each year. The remaining 25 percent is imported annually from the Russian River through an agreement with the Sonoma County Water Agency. MMWD also operates its own recycled water system. District operations are financed by revenue from the sale of water. The annual operating budget for the district for fiscal year 2012-13 is $69.1 million.
# # #