Alpine Dam Community Celebration ~ September 2019
Happy 100th Birthday, Alpine Dam!
Nestled deep in MMWD’s beautiful Mt. Tamalpais Watershed, Alpine Dam continues to play an integral role in supplying clean, local water to our customers—a full century after its construction. Come celebrate the 100th birthday of this iconic structure at a series of community events this September. Tag us in your celebratory posts with #Alpine100 so we can join in on the fun!
Student Coloring Contest
To help celebrate Alpine Dam’s 100th birthday, we’re sponsoring a coloring contest for students grades K-6. Participants can win up to $100 for themselves and for their classroom! Find details and download the coloring page here.
September 2019 Community Events
We will continue to update this list as additional events are scheduled. Please check back!
- Monday, September 9 - Monday, September 30 - Pond Farm Brewing Co. Alpine Dam Centennial Hazy Pale Ale: For the whole month of September, Pond Farm Brewing Co. will be serving up pints of Alpine Dam Centennial Hazy Pale Ale so stop by their San Rafael tap room and enjoy it while it's still on tap!
- Friday, September 13, 12:00 p.m. - Cake Cutting: Meet us at West Point Inn for cake in honor of Alpine Dam and gorgeous views of the Mt. Tamalpais Watershed.
- Saturday, September 14, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. On Site Trivia: Play trivia, win prizes and learn more about Alpine Dam with One Tam, who will be stationed near the dam with their Roving Ranger van.
- Monday, September 16 - Alpine Dam Historical Display at Civic Center Library: Historical photos of the building of Alpine Dam will be on display at the Civic Center Library's Anne T. Kent California Room.
- Saturday, September 21, 8:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - MCBC Bike Ride: Join the Marin County Bicycle Coalition (MCBC) for a bike ride starting at Mike's Bikes in San Rafael, riding past Alpine Dam and ending at Pond Farm Brewing Co. in San Rafael for a pint of Alpine Dam Centennial Hazy Pale Ale. For event details, and to purchase tickets, click here.
- Sunday, September 22, 11:00 a.m. - History Walk: Join one of MMWD's park rangers for a historical walking tour of Alpine Dam. Meet on top of the dam.
- Saturday, September 28, 11:00 a.m. - History Walk: Join one of MMWD's park rangers for a historical walking tour of Alpine Dam. Meet on top of the dam.
- Saturday, September 28, 2:00 p.m. - Reading & Book Signing: Join MMWD Director Jack Gibson at Book Passage in Corte Madera for a presentation and book signing featuring his book, Images of America: Mount Tamalpais and The Marin Municipal Water District.
- Sunday, September 29, 10:00 a.m. - Cake Cutting: Meet us at the annual San Anselmo Country Fair and enjoy cake in honor of Alpine Dam, while listening to live music or watching the 11:00 a.m. parade.
- Wednesday, October 2, 7:00 p.m. History Talk & Book Signing: Attend the Mill Valley Historical Society's First Wednesday program with guest speaker and historian MMWD Director Jack Gibson. Director Gibson will be presenting a look back at the development of drinking water access for Marin County and the construction of Alpine Dam in 1919 at the Mill Valley Public Library.