Skip to main content

Understand Your Bill

Image shows a screen capture of a sample water bill for Marin Water.

Marin Water has a two-month billing cycle, which means your bill covers two months of water service. Billed amounts are based on water usage during the previous two months. 

A previously approved increase in rates and fees took effect on July 1, 2022.  If you have a question about your water bill, please contact our Customer Service Department. 

Your water bill includes the costs associated with providing water to your tap, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It includes a fixed Base Water Charge, a per-unit charge based on your water usage, a fixed Watershed Management Fee, and a fixed Capital Maintenance Fee. 

Base Water Charge

Providing water to your tap 24/7 involves a network of support services. Your Base Water Charge includes fixed costs associated with your water service, such as maintenance, billing, customer support services, and other operational costs. 

Water Use Charge

The Water Service Tier Charges show the per-unit cost of water used. One unit equals 748 gallons of water. Tiers are based on your water use, with Tier One being the least expensive. The more water you use, the higher your water tier. The tier system is designed to encourage water conservation.

Watershed Management Fee

The Watershed Management Fee is a fixed fee that pays for the sustainable management of our Mt. Tamalpais watershed, including vegetation management for fire prevention, protecting natural habitats, and maintaining recreational areas and the water quality of our reservoirs. 

Capital Maintenance Fee

Marin Water is California’s first municipal water district, established in 1912. Many of our pipes are more than 100 years old. The Capital Maintenance Fee is a fixed fee that funds capital projects, including replacing old pipelines, tanks and other infrastructure that improve the overall reliability of your water service. 


If you have a question about your water bill, or to learn more about any of our programs, contact our Customer Service Department.


Your water bill may be adjusted in case of water loss due to circumstances beyond your control, such as a mechanical malfunction, blind leak, water theft, vandalism, unexplained water loss, or other unusual or emergency conditions. Adjustments will not be made for faucet leaks.

Water loss or leak adjustment requests must be made in writing, and are limited to two billing periods, and one adjustment every 36 months. Corrective action must be taken within 48 hours of discovering or being notified of a leak, and the district requires proof of repairs within 30 days from the billing date when the water loss occurred.

To request a leak adjustment, complete and submit the Leak Adjustment Form along with your proof of repairs.

For a full description of our leak adjustment policy, review Marin Water's leak adjustment code. 


Leak Adjustment Form

Marin Water Leak Adjustment Code

Marin Water offers a third-party notification program. If your water bill is overdue, our Customer Service Department will try to contact you. If we are not able to do so, we will make one attempt to contact whomever you have designated as your third-party. Your third-party has time to remind you that your water bill is due. There is no charge for this service.

This program may be helpful if you live alone and would like to have a relative or friend notified if you have overlooked paying your water bill or if you care for a relative or friend who may overlook his or her water bill due to illness, financial issues, or language difficulties. It is also helpful if you travel frequently, or have a relative or friend who travels frequently, making it difficult to pay bills on schedule.

Marin Water will make an attempt to notify the third-party, but we cannot be held liable if we are unable to reach your third-party contact. Your third-party contact is not obligated in any way to pay the customer's bill. You may also cancel this service at any time, in writing.

To participate, download and complete the form. Both you and the designated third-party sign need to sign the form. Send it in with your next payment or mail it separately to: 

Marin Water
Attn: Customer Service
220 Nellen Ave.
Corte Madera, CA 94925


Third Party Notification Form